Tuesday, August 14, 2012

If it grows here it grows BIG!

 foxglove


 Delphiniums 
You know I favor blue flowers!!
 Spirea a shrub that grows 6' tall here and spreads 
 Fireweed gets 6' tall and grows wild all over Alaska, huge meadows of it can be seen around Homer. It's quite edible and the moose like it for the sweet magenta flowers.
 My blue shrimp plant I grew from seeds off Amazon.com for my all blue garden. I'm really loving this unusual looking annual.

SEWING REPORT
My latest quick sew is a cute 100% cotton gathered skirt. I finished this Sunday and have cut out a chambray blouse to go with it. (Plan on wearing red shoes) I sew the zipper in by hand as well as the hem and waist band on the skirt inside. Below is the shirt, my favorite pattern!

Report on my aqua blue velvet vintage dress. It's still hanging around in my craft room on the model. I've put a zipper in and taken it out, didn't work with the thin velvet, then tried button holes in velvet samples, really didn't work squirmed all over the place, now what? I'm using the covered buttons I made over SNAPS! I have only one done on the bottom so far but this has to work as it's my last option. 
Thanks for dropping in I always so much appreciate reading each of your comments. 
Nan


10 comments:

chris mckinley said...

Thank you for sharing such great pictures!! Love the all the blue. What fun fabric! The dots are great!!

chris

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

I didn't know fireweed was edible! You have many of the same flowers there as we had in western washington. I miss having wild Fox Gloves and fireweed!

Have a great day! ♥

MJ said...

Nan if you have problems with the snaps staying shut try using hooks and eyes--they can also be hidden and will stay shut. All you need to do is put an extra stitch right at the top of the hook to keep it laying flat and it will stay down and won't show. I remember having to do that years ago on some of the things I had made when I was younger as sometimes with certain movements the snaps wouldn't always stay snapped.

My Vintage Mending said...

My mother said the gardens were gorgeous over there. I can't believe the girth on those flowers. I love to use snaps under buttons. Smiles..Renee

Debby said...

Such beautiful flowers. They must like the cooler temps.....who can blame them, hah. I am still amazed that cotton is a wildflower there. Amazing beauty where you live.

Inger said...

You have an all blue garden? That must be beautiful, I love blue flowers. Here in the desert it seems like the wild ones are mostly yellow. You know me, I can't sew at all. Good luck though and I can't wait to see that skirt and blouse.

Jewels said...

Wow - absolutely gorgeous flowers Nan - thanks so much for sharing!

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Those flowers are fantastic! Great picture taken there.

opportunityknits said...

I'm teaching a sustainability course this semester and it's good to see such big and pretty flowers growing in Alaska :) Edible too? wow!
Interesting that you sewed the zipper by hand. I should try that one of these days.
Have a good day!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I'll say...those flowers are enormous and gorgeous. I saw you over on my sister's blog, Saturday finds, and came by to visit and to follow...loved browsing here today! Great sewing projects too...

Search This Blog