Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Shoes and Sewing

 My new shoes came today from Modcloth. Pink I just had to have them and not really sure what I'll wear them with. 
This is my velvet dress so far. The muslin took forever and now I'm having to do a lot of basting with this. Pictured here is the side front with a lap stitch making it look like piping on the velvet. I've never done a lap stitch in my life until now. 
Here is how Debi Fry's looked using an old heavy velvet curtain she bought for 10. I'm using a stretchy velveteen so it's going to be a bit lighter in appearance. 
Read about her dress here. I'm using Debi's pattern. 
 This pattern I bought for myself in the late 60's but never made. I'm thinking of making this coat now if I can find the right wool and that is so hard to do on line by the way. Difficult with bound button holes, welt pockets, lots of tailoring inside and lined like I did on the Gertie starlet suit jacket. Maybe save that for the long winter.
This dress on the right looks so sweet I will keep it in mind and look for the right fabric.
This is what I see when I'm in the bathroom!! This is Pan watching me, if I don't close the door he will come in and wait lol..!!

7 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

Those are really cute shoes Nan...I cannot wait to see what you decide to wear them with. Loving the coat pattern. I have one similar with 3/4 sleeves. Reminds me I need to sew it too. Can't believe you are tackling that velvet...Yes I can! That face looks very familiar...only my bullies usually butt their way in...smiles...Renee

LBP said...

I love the color of your velvet dress and can't wait to see the finished project.

Speaking of projects, I am working on making a purse with the vintage scottie dog you printed on fabric for me. I am only about the 1/3 of the way done, gardening season is keeping me busy! But as soon as I finish, I'll put it on my blog!

Blessings

Linda

Debby said...

Love the shoes. You are such a classy lady.
That is so funny about Pan looking in the door. They sure love to be where you are.

Perfectly Printed said...

Love your shoes!!! Dogs are so funny!! My one will lay on the bathroom rug while I shower!!

chris

vintage grey said...

Lovin' those pink shoes!! So cute, and I am sure you will look so pretty in them!! xo Heather

Sandy said...

Hi Nan...it was so nice to see your message tonight...and it sounds as if yall are having the same kinda weather as we are. Felt like rain all day but it didn't . I love this kind of day...spent it in my henhouse working on vacation Bible school stuff. Even had my little heater on up there. (it's upstairs in our garage.) I LOVE your new shoes!! They will be so cute with anything you decide to wear them with!!
God bless! :0)

Sam I Am...... said...

Pretty shoes although I don't wear any heels anymore. Too many years of it! LOL!
The older patterns seem to have more style than todays. I am loving that coat and the dress too!
Your velvet is so pretty and looks like you're doing a great job on that piping.

Search This Blog