Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cranes, Colts, and Eagles







The male crane who whiled away his time in our yard tapping at his window image showed up with Mrs. Crane and two tiny colts on Friday. Now he spends the day feeding the little ones and watching out for predators in our yard. The nests are so well hidden I have no idea where it was but close enough to get the two little ones in here, they walked down the driveway. Now they stay by our pond and bed down in the tall grass beyond it. When we go out they take the colts (that is what they call them) out in the tall grass to hide. It's a big responsibility having them here as I really have to be on top of it with the dogs not to disturb them. The cranes will stay now and start to move between the yards as the colts mature and then leave in mid Sept. for CA.

Mr. Eagle
This is our resident eagle who came on a day before the cranes arrived, he or she was chasing down a male pheasant and missed then sat on our roof peak resting and  watching Bob throw the Frisbee for Kalen. Now the eagles nest is very close here and when one of them fly over the cranes start squawking at them as if to say don't even think about it we see you! 

12 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

How beautiful. In your own backyard! We had a chance to see a fleeting bald eagle two years ago when we were up in Minnesota near Canada. But to have one on your roof! Seriously, I would never go in! It was 102'F during Claire's softball game the other day I am quite sure I melted a little. Smiles...Renee

Jane said...

Love that photo of the eagle sitting on your rooftop! And the crane family - that's really something! I'd be so afraid the eagles would grab one of the babies/colts.

Inger said...

What a great bird life you have there. I love the baby cranes and the way their parents look after them.

David T. Macknet said...

Awesome! I do so love the wildlife you guys have there. Thanks for sharing it!

Jewels said...

Oh my Nan - what wonderful pictures - and I never knew about "colts"...thanks so much for sharing (that Eagle looks like one serious dude LOL)

Brownie1 said...

I love your wildlife pictures and stories! The cranes are beautiful birds, and their colts, as well. We have a deer in our suburban backyard who isn't afraid of people. She was eating apples from the neighbor's tree today, and didn't even move when we approached her. Glad to see Mr.Eagle looking proud! Thanks for your informative and entertaining posts, Nan, I look forward to them all the time!

Diane Mars said...

Well it's like you live at the zoo, what a beautiful experience it must be to keep eye on the wildlife. I bet that was one reason you decided to retire in Alaska~ HUgs, Diane

SACRAMENTO said...

All that fantastic wild life after a hard winter, must feel like ice cream in a hot summers day.
Much love, my dear Nan.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ImagiMeri said...

Oh Nan, you are so blessed to have such displays of natures grandness so close.......I'm green with envy!

Love ya'
Meri

Sandy said...

SO amazed by the wildlife where you live, and so odd that they call the babies colts...lol Would you like to do a one on one swap with me for a tag that represents your blog? Miss Elizabeth started it and she has us all a flutter, there is no time limit and the tag needs to be triangular for me, whatever shape you want for you, if you pop over to Creative Breathing you can see what I mean....It sure would be fun and there is no time limit, just by fall....let me know! Sandy

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

I would LOVE TO HAVE AN EAGLE ON MY ROOF!!! You knew I would say that I am sure. Those cranes are neat too, but that EAGLE - OH YEAH!!!

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

You know I would love to have an eagle on my house! Of course you probably knew I would say something about an eagle. :)
The cranes are interesting too. Didn't God do such a wonderful job on making so many different animals, people, etc.? Oh Yeah!

Search This Blog