Thursday, May 31, 2012

Moose Calf Report




This is the moose calf that I found lying by our pond on Monday. The one that was born so weak and small. The mom was out in the field and doesn't seem to see him. He went crying up the Mr. Crane asking if he would feed him but Mr. Crane put out his wings to look bigger and jumped up and down in the air to scare him off not wanting to help out at all. 
This is the mom in our yard pushing around my wooden crane. This is what happened to her calf. We tried to drive him toward the mom, she could see him in the yard but made no attempt to come get him or even searched for him. He went down in the grass in my neighbor's yard so we left him alone. The next morning Bob went to see if he was there and he was gone. Our neighbor said she saw him walk off across our subdivision road away from his mom. Bad news is bears come into that area. So that was the last I saw of him. His mom is still around this area I just saw her again on Wed. 

12 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

I know it is the way of the wild but it still hurts to see the little ones go. How many times do you have to put that wooden crane back up? Thanks for the update....smiles...Renee

Perfectly Printed said...

The circle of life? So sad! Still loving the updates!

chris

Inger said...

Breaks my heart, but that is life in the wild. She stayed with him for a long time, then I guess she knew she couldn't help him. So sad....

Debby said...

Oh that's sad. I wonder why she is around there still and why it seemed she was trying to protect him. Something must have been wrong with him and she knew it. But her mothering instincts didn't kick in. Maybe they don't if they aren't healthy. Hope he survives somehow. Poor thing.

Sandy said...

Mother Nature is so cruel....she must have known he was going to make it....I hope he doesn't suffer....

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, it does just break your heart. Has anyone ever raised a baby moose? I know the reality but the Mother in me sheds a tear. He/She was so cute.

Jewels said...

Ah dear well that is what happens with nature. I know we try to apply our "human" feelings to these kind of circumstances but one has to let nature run its course. Hopefully he will be okay.

vivian said...

oh gosh.. that is so sad... I cant watch tv shows about nature sometimes because they are often so heart breaking. that poor calf is probably hungry. poor thing.

vintage grey said...

He is so precious, and how sad that she won't pay attention to him! Thanks for sharing what happened to him! Have a lovely weekend! xo Heather

GardenofDaisies said...

This just breaks my heart. Nature is so harsh.

Gernella said...

I know it's nature but I'd be out there with a bottle, I hate to see anything starving, which is why we spend a fortune on feed in the winter.

Gernella said...

I know it's nature but I'd be out there with a bottle, I hate to see anything starving, which is why we spend a fortune on feed in the winter.

Search This Blog