Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Alaskan Kids * Spring Nettles

 All photos by Jaclyn Arndt



The glacier you see in most of my photos up close has a lake in front of it which runs out into the bay by a channel. There is a hiking trail over there which a friend and I have done and I posted about that in the past. This is a group from my church, two are our pastors and another is a youth leader. They took the group over for a camp out and someone got the crazy idea to swim out to the ice from the calving glacier, oh boy that had to be cold!!
Walnut Nettle Pesto Making

Pick nettles using gloves. Don't dare touch them without gloves on until you have boiled them. (After boiling you can eat them just like spinach if you prefer.) 
Cut them into sections removing some of the larger stems.
Drop in boiling water for three minutes.
Then add in the food processor:
garlic, salt, walnuts, olive oil, and parmesan cheese.
Blend this then add nettles a little at a time blending. If interested you can find recipes on the net.
Nan

7 comments:

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Hi, Nan! I grew up in the North west so I've gone swimming in some pretty cold water but not THAT cold! Ha-ha! I've picked and eaten neetles, too but mostly we were always covered with their stings while growing up!

Have a great day! ♥

A Vintage Chic said...

Oh my goodness that looks COLD, Nan! What a brave bunch! I love pesto--never have tried it with nettles, though!

I LOVE your Fairy Cottage--what a wonderful thing to have! I'll bet your guests feel so cozy there...

Wishing you a beautiful day, my friend!

Julie

Perfectly Printed said...

Oh my!! what brave young kids! My close friend grew up in Fairbanks and she said they would water ski if they could on New Year's Eve! Her brothers still do! Crazy!!!

chris

Inger said...

They went in there without a sauna first? Brrrr!!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Brrrr. When we lived in Fairbanks I went to girl scout camp one spring and there was still ice on the lake. We would wade out and then swim out and pop thru the ice - it was easy to break thru, but DANG it was cold!

m&em said...

Too be young and brave. Beautiful pictures.

Sam I Am...... said...

I've never eaten them but I've gotten into them, unfortunately. Pretty awful!!!!

Search This Blog