Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Starlet Suit Jacket





I finally finished the Starlet Suit Jacket class. One of my readers asked, it's been hanging around awhile. This was not easy to make. I had trouble in a lot of areas, if anyone wants to know they can e-mail me for a chat about about it especially if you decide to do the class. The class is offered on Craftsy.com   I didn't make the skirt so I just posed in these everyday pants. The jacket is actually too small for me and I'm going to give it away. It may look like it fits but it's tight in the back and under the arms. The fabric is woven raw silk and it's lined in pale yellow silk.
Next I'm working on a blue raw silk dressed lined in blue satin for my daughter. I told her it wasn't fancy and would be an 'everyday dress'. I guess because the fabric doesn't excite me I say that. I will post that later in the week when I get it sewn together.  A visit to the Russian shop got me the lining and zipper today. 
The other day I received in the mail some inexpensive closet helpers from Amazon.com. The clear case on the end hold so many outfits. Then I have the shoulder covers to keep the dust off. This closet has a pole below this level too which is Bob's and half of this upper level as well. I counted up that I have made 40 outfits since I started back sewing for myself. This is why I'm now sewing for Ingrid my daughter. 

14 comments:

Perfectly Printed said...

Love the jacket! The style and the color!

chris

Debby said...

Pretty pretty.......40 outfits, wow. You daughter is smiling, I am sure.

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Great job, 40 outfits!!! That jacket is beautiful! Great idea about the "hanger deals". Yes, I agree about your daughter - she will be one happy camper to get "homemade clothes" from her Mother. My Mother used to make mine too, how I miss her.

Kath said...

I particularly liked the Jackie O suit, but this outfit is very smart.

My Vintage Mending said...

This is beautiful. I have done this so many times...make it too small. Super jealous that you have sewn forty outfits for yourself. You look amazing...smiles...Renee

Anonymous said...

Wow...the retro outfits you make are absoluteley stunning...I am sooo jealous (hee hee...in a loving way)...and now you're sewing for your daughter..nice...lucky girl...somehow the dogs never seem too impressed..but you need to know all of us at this end are! lol hugs

vintage grey said...

You are so talented!! I love that you have made so many beautiful suits for yourself!! I would love to have your talent!! Maybe one day, but I have never made clothing before, so we'll see!! ;) xo Heather

Cathy said...

Love the color! (:

Check out my blog & follow? (:
onceuponasprinkle.blogspot.com

SACRAMENTO said...

That jacket is a brilliant piece of work Nan, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Debby said...

Me again.......that was the sweetest comment ever that you left. Thank you so much.

Charlene said...

I LOVE your jacket!!! Too bad you have to give it away because it doesn't fit. THAT is one of the reasons I don't sew any more. Yes, I see you still have snow & it has been so HOT so Early this year! Up in the high 80's some days! Round Top was miserable! HUGS! Charlene

A Vintage Chic said...

What a gorgeous jacket, Nan--such hard work, but well worth it! And YOU look marvelous, my friend! The perfect model for all the beautiful pieces you're making...

Julie

Inger said...

Your daughter is a lucky woman! And thanks for reminding me of the shoulder covers. It's so dusty here in the canyon and I basically just wear jeans and casual tops,so when I take out a nice jacket, I am appalled at the dust on the shoulder. I will look for the hangers too. This will be so helpful when I start cleaning out my closet.

Sam I Am...... said...

I know you had said that it was too tight on you but you're right...it doesn't look it from here. It's too bad because it is lovely and you look really good in that color too.
Did I tell you I'm ordering (today! as I keep putting it off!) a book that shows you how to make patterns from existing garments? I have several items I want to clone as they fit well and are very comfortable. I can't wait to pick out the material and start sewing again. You've motivated me although I won't be doing any fancy tailoring like you do. I like loose clothing that doesn't bind at all as I'm always into projects that require stretching and reaching and making messes! LOL! Nothing fancy for me!

Search This Blog