Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cranes and Jackets



The top two photos are the male Sandhill Crane. The bottom is the banded female. We were really thrilled to hear her arrive the next morning as he called for her the entire day before. She is searching around for a nesting spot and she is also dancing a lot to the male. 

 Kalen wanted you to know he was there when the jacket photo was taken watching me! I am now going to start on the lining. If there is one important tip I got from Gertie's class it was how to grade a seam! My collar looks so good doing it Gertie's way. See the below collar in the green silk. You can see that the under collar is rolling out and showing. This I made when I first started back sewing here and didn't know how to grade a seam properly and you get that rolled out look. I also will be putting in tiny pik stitches on the under collar side to hold it in place. I plan on fixing this green jacket, I didn't have the proper interfacing when I made it either. 

11 comments:

Jane said...

Hope the cranes find a good nest!

Your jackets are both beautiful! Every time you mention one of your tips like the handsewn zippers, graded seams, etc. it brings back memories of the sewing classes I took many, many years ago - especially the tailoring class! Such good memories!

Martha said...

I'm so glad to hear that she made it!!
You jackets are gorgeous - love how the pups always pose.

Perfectly Printed said...

Jackets are beautiful!! Love the colors! The cranes are together again!! How tall are they?

chris

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Cranes are so funny looking.

Beautiful jackets indeed! Once again your talents amaze me.

Inger said...

I'm so glad the second crane arrived. It will be so special to observe them. Your sewing is beyond belief to me who is all thumbs when it come to things like that. And isn't it great to be able to be creative like that in retirement?

MJ said...

Gosh I'm glad to see that his mate showed up again. Now you can get a little rest from his constant calling for her. Isn't it interesting though how they know and recognize their mate's call from among all the rest when to us they all sound so much alike?

My Vintage Mending said...

Why do the males always get to have all the color? Just a shame. Glad she made it though...I love that double seam on the purple jacket. Very well done. Isn't it surprising how we no matter how we improve on technology we still have to go back to hand stitching to get the most intricate look...smiles...Renee

Sam I Am...... said...

I'm so glad she showed up! I bet her mate is happy too! What gorgeous birds they are.
Love your suit. I can see the difference...I'm learning from you. I may not be able to do it but I'm learning some of the finer points of tailoring. The color of your Nancy Drew one is lovely and I love the other one too!

vintage grey said...

He is beautiful!! Those colors are gorgeous on him!! Your jackets are so pretty!! xo Heather

Storybook Woods said...

Oh they are so pretty, you are blessed to have all the nature around you. Clarice

Jewels said...

The cranes are wonderful - thanks so much for sharing your pics of them!

Search This Blog