Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sewing Chat

 Woven cotton plaid and tatting. I bought the tatting on Etsy awhile back.  The two vintage patterns from my own daughter as a child. I'm planning on making a couple little dresses with white collars and tatted edges to perhaps sell. 
 These patterns were a gift from a blog reader. Helen sent me a LARGE box of wonderful vintage patterns she inherited from a relative and thought of me. I was thrilled and so thankful to have these patterns now in my care. I have them filed in with mine in number and maker order in my new drawers. Helen also included several vintage 1959 sewing books which I will actually refer too. Thank you Helen so much I can't wait to use a pattern! 
I was very happy with the way the collar came out. Gertie taught me how to grade the seams in the correct way. Grading if case you are not familiar is trimming. She also calls for that pick stitching by hand all along the edges. I am now to the next step of lining the jacket. 

10 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

You lucky lady...This shirt jacket is turning out beautifully tailored. I would love to just sit and watch you. Smiles..Renee

MJ said...

This looks great Nan---I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's finished and you're wearing it.

Sandy said...

That is a pretty color Nan. I saved all my sewing patterns over the years and have a few from my paternal Grandmother. I guess even mine are considered vintage. LOL!

Perfectly Printed said...

Don't you just love vintage patterns? Can't wait to see the jacket on you... you're a great model.

Chris

wendy said...

I used to sew in the 70's when I was first married. Lots of Polyester stuff (yuk)..
All my maternity dresses when I was pregnant with my 3rd child were polyester.
I didn't enjoy sewing, but my MIL painstakingly tried to teach me.

Now I don't even own a sewing machine, and haven't for years. But there are times I certainly wished I had one for mending STRAIGHT seems.

My sister Tats.....absolutely beautiful things. Not many people know how to do that now.

Vintage Girl said...

can't wait to see finished jacket, do share about the grading thing, I would be interested to know

donna said...

How sweet of Helen to send you the vintage patterns. Your jacket is beautiful. Oh by the way your fur babies are precious.
Hugs
donna

sacramento said...

You do sooooooooooooo well. Trully clever, ahhhhhhhhhhhh
I hate music in the blogs, but your bells ring in my heart everytime.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

Hi Nan,
just saw this post today......it made me so happy to see the picture of the patterns and know that they have a good home with you.
Enjoy! Helen

Sam I Am...... said...

Wow! the jacket is turning out beautifully! You have lots of patience to do something that complicated and involved. I love the patterns and I can see you wearing that black full skirted dress. Love the plaid and the tatting and can't wait to see the cute little dress you make from it.

Search This Blog