Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Iditarod Winner

Both Photo Credits LOREN HOLMES
DALLAS SEAVEY FIRST INTO NOME – YOUNGEST IDITAROD CHAMPION
Nome, Alaska - Tuesday, March 13, 2012 – IDITAROD XL Musher Dallas Seavey (Bib # 34) arrived in Nome, Alaska and crossed under the burled arch at 19:29 Alaska Time with 9 dogs on his team claiming his first Iditarod Championship. Thousands of fans lined the street to greet the youngest person to have ever won the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

Seavey now holds the record for being the youngest person to have won the Iditarod. Seavey turned 25 years old while on the trail. The previous record was held by Rick Swenson since 1977, when he won his first Iditarod at the age of 26.
Seavey’ s team traveled up the Iditarod Trail in 9 days, 04 hours, 29 minutes, 26 seconds. The record is still held by John Baker the 2011 Champion at a time of 8 days, 18 hours, 46 minutes, 39 seconds .
Dallas Seavey comes from a family with a long line of Iditarod finishers, including his father, Mitch, who won in 2004. Dallas was a third generation Seavey to be running in the 2012 Iditarod along with his father Mitch Seavey and grandfather, Dan Seavey - both still making their way to Nome. 
You all probably are not that aware the Iditarod is going on up here but we've had it front page news since it started 9 days ago. I started to really want this young man to win and tonight he did!! 

6 comments:

margits bastelstube said...

ohh yeahhh.... bravo!
YES... this was a great race!!!
i love yukon quest & iditarod. i have been following this race every year. i9'm a great fan.
dallas seavy won the yukon quest 2011! he is taff....
many greetings from austria
margit

ImagiMeri said...

Hey pretty lady,

Have you ever gone to watch any of the races? You are so blessed to have such spectacular events in your state, and I'd love to come stay and visit. However, it's just too darn cold for me there. Have a lovely day!

Love ya'
Meri

Debby said...

When I went to Doodle's school they had a big chart of the race on the wall. The children got to choose their sled driver by the information provided. Doodle choose someone from Pa. Then they had a map. Each child had a dog for their sled and they were placed on the map as how they were doing. I thought this was such a great learning experience for them. I think it is so different than other races they are exposed to.

MJ said...

Three cheers for Dallas. I try to keep an eye on the race ever since we were in Alaska and it's great to see him win it.

Carol said...

Something I would love to see..but since my husband refuses to spend any time where there is snow..I think it's out..LOL

Sam I Am...... said...

I heard when it started and I heard who won when it ended but I would have loved to hear more. Wouldn't it be cool if you could have a channel where you could go and pick different cities around the world and listen to their news. I'd be tuned in to Alaska towns all the time! How interesting that would be. Congrats to Steve and his team of trusty dogs! Thanks for posting the pics as I didn't get to see any of those.

Search This Blog