Saturday, March 17, 2012

Deep Snow and Starving Wildlife

Happy St. Pat's Day

Yesterday a moose and yearling calf came by to eat the spruce branches. They must be really hungry to do this as they don't like them and always leave them alone. There is just so much snow it's causing the animals to starve.
 This pheasant was underneath our trees when we were working on them and didn't leave even with the dogs there I suspect he is too weak to fly. I later put some corn up there for him, even the rabbits are eating the corn now.
Bob and I were out caging up the trunks of some of the trees from the rabbits. Sorry for the finger in the photo but it was so cold I couldn't see straight. 
 Now here we have uncaged about three apple trees so the moose can just have them as the rabbits already ringed the bark.
I finished the Starlet Suit jacket which took a month and taught me a lot of details I didn't know. I have now cut this 60's pattern for my daughter. I am thrilled to move on to something else. 

8 comments:

Sandy said...

So sad that all of the animals are hungry, thank you for feeding them! Nature is really cruel a lot of the time isn't it????? Poor things.....

Carol said...

Nice post...glad you are helping them out. Shame to lose the apple tree..but they do what they have to ..to survive.
Bunnies like carrots too.

Debby said...

That's sad that they are starving. You have so much snow. It must be really cold as well. Crazy weather......we have flowers coming up, 75 degrees, but we also had a terrible storm the other night.

My Vintage Mending said...

Never thought they would be that hungry but I would be so inclined to feed them all. Good grief the bears would be knocking on the doors. My mother has a terrible time with the deer eating everything from her garden plants to little saplings they put out. Nothing deters them. I have already had to put out my bird seed for the finches. In one week we went from no leaves to full leaves on trees. It is going to be a very buggy year! Smiles...Renee

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

Happy belated St. Paddy's day! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

Happy belated St. Paddy's day! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, so sad about the animals and your trees...it's a fine balance between us and Mother Nature isn't it. Hopefully we help more than we hinder but when you watch the news it makes you wonder about our poor planet and what we've done to it.
Did you post a picture of the starlit jacket? Did I miss it? I saw the suit but the jacket was after that, right? Were you so tired of working on it you didn't want to post a picture? LOL!

Beth said...

i love that you get to see a moose in the backyard. that is so fun. also love how you get your doggies do pose so cute like. just precious. they must be like you say a "camera hog". (:

Search This Blog