Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Coat Dress

I shortened the pattern by 9 inches. The fur at the top photo is what I'm using for the collar and cuffs and that will be backed by silk. The fur below I didn't care for. 

Yesterday late I started this coat dress pattern I've been threatening to make for ages! This fabric is wool gaberdine mail order what else and I must say I don't like it at all. It feels just like polyester to me and I wonder if that isn't what they sent me as it does not smell like wool when pressed. Well anyway I have three yards of this and the dress if finally cut and I'm starting to put it together today after a meeting this morning. I've been stalling on it due to this fabric I don't like but living up here we have to made do and carry on. 
Nan

7 comments:

sacramento said...

I am already looking forward to seeing it on you, ahhhhhhhhhhhh
You are such an artist.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Perfectly Printed said...

Can't wait to see it finished!!

chris

Debby said...

Hope you like it more when it is finished. Love those shoes. I had a coat made out of wool trimmed in something similar ages ago.

My Vintage Mending said...

Those shoes and that collar...amazing. Love your bright cutting space. Envious....smiles...Renee

Jacqueline said...

Still sewing up a storm I see. You must love it Nan, and you are so darn amazing at it!

I got your comment on the word verification. I'm not sure how I even got it on there! Having some issues but no need for a tissue! Smile!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nan,
just sent you an email regarding vintage patterns - hoping that it went through since your email on your profile didn't link. I found a wonderful box of my mother-in-laws patterns from the 50's-60's and would love for you to have them if would like. If the email went through just reply back on it. Would love them to go to a good home.....she was like you....a talented dressmaker!
Helen

Sam I Am...... said...

That's funny you should say that about that fabric because I had a similar experience. I buy used wool clothing for making rugs and wool applique. I check the tags first to ensure it is 100% wool. I found a green pleated skirt about a month ago. Pleated is a "bonanza" because once I felt it and take it apart I have LOTS of wool....maybe 2-3 yards. Anyway, it didn't feel like wool but it said 100% and I felted it and it isn't any wool I have ever used and it frayed which wool doesn't do when you wash it. So, someone is out there "scamming" us!

Search This Blog