Sunday, January 15, 2012

That's Mother Nature

 Our Sunday sunrise and while this was going on two goshawks got another pheasant that had hid inside a tree frame. I watched the whole scenario work itself out. When the pheasant flew for it the one got him. They did not share at all the one goshawk ate the pheasant until the eagles showed up. 
two adolescence eagles 
While he was eating the pheasant these two came along and finished off what little was there. I have video but it takes too long to load up on my blog.


 Bob and I went out snowshoeing yesterday in about 8 degrees. The dogs went along in their coats w/o booties on their feet as I gave up using them last year, they just lose them off.
He is how our water arrives, by truck with chains on. He was a day late due to blizzards. These heavy trucks really have a time of it getting down icy driveways to deliver our water. What does it cost? Water is .049 a gallon and I usually get 1030 gallons every other week and that is for two people being conservative so you can imagine what a large family uses. I have a front load low water washer. I have a Jacuzzi tub which I use 2 times a year at most due to the fact that it takes so much water, a dishwasher, and a 40 gallon water heater that also runs my floor heat. Propane is the most expensive thing we pay for here especially when this really cold weather is going on. If you turn your heat to 68 you will be paying at least a thousand dollars a month. We have ours on 65 and run the wood stove 24 hours a day. We have a large home now along with a good sized garage that we have to heat as well. My room here is 73 degrees right now due to the solar gain from the windows, the second reason we have those big windows. The guest cottage does not need to be heated in the winter due to the foundation it has. 


12 comments:

gpc said...

I can't imagine -- it is not nearly as cold here, ever, but I hate it --- on the other hand, my house doesn't get nearly as warm as yours. I suspect yours is a lot better insulated!

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy your blog about Alaska. My husband and I were in Homer about 14 years ago for fishing at a fishing lodge. What an amazing country. We than spent our second week in Ancorage. It was by far our most exciting and memorable vacation. We were there the last week of June to July. We often talk about going back some day. Thank you for your pictures and article. Judy

Debby said...

Stunning view.......stunning water and propane bills. But I bet it is worth it.

My Vintage Mending said...

I was just telling Michael I want to go snowshoeing. He is more of a skier. I like to take it slower and stop if I need to see something. Sort of drink the beauty in. We keep our house set at 65 too. No stove here. Gas cost a fortune to run the faux fireplace. Ridiculous. There are plenty of blankets to grab if you feel a chill...smiles...Renee

Jane M said...

What a spectacular sunrise. I love the idea of snowshoeing as well. Yikes, though, I never even thought about water delivery. Suburbia has spoiled me.

vivian said...

sounds expensive! we just watched a show last night about alaskan state troopers and crime in anchorage. it was interesting and I was surprised to learn that there is such a high crime rate there. I had a totally different picture in my mind.
have a great week nan.. stay warm!
xoxo
vivian

Jean said...

LOL, okay you had me considering a move when I saw that gorgeous sunrise, but the rest of your post snapped me back to reality fast.

Urban Rustic said...

It never occurred to me that you have your water delivered.I agree with Debby in that all of the positives far out weigh the negatives!

Kath said...

Fab photos Nan!

Inger said...

Reading this, I am so grateful for our free well water. The rest here runs on electric and it's not very expensive. We have watched the ice-breakers and the ships coming with supplies to Alaska and I hope you guys are OK where you are. I think this told me that you are, even if it costs you an arm and a leg.

David T. Macknet said...

Wow. I'm very glad for infrastructure right about now!

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

What beautiful pictures AGAIN. Once again I "feel for the pheasants" but once again, the "law of nature". I call Hawks, "AWESOME BIRDS" they are my favorite second bird. Eagles will always be my favorite! By the way I have to mention I saw an eagle in the ditch two weeks ago, we were in the car, but it was so beautiful! I knew God kissed me when He saw him or her. :)

Search This Blog