Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lots More Snow and Friends



 Chicken coop above and to the left
Cookie and Ron below at my house Christmas

The above four photos are from my friend Cookie who lives a distance out of Homer. She and her husband have a very nice house in town but she prefers to stay out here in this cabin the size of my guest cottage along with her chickens (and dog) for the quite solitude and peacefulness of the area and come home on weekends. Could you do this, stay alone without running water, using a generator for power and a wood stove for heat?



Some shots of the snow around our house, Bob shoveling and playing with Kalen on a snow pile, the pheasant now coming up to the house to eat under the deck as the snow is too deep out there. I see how important it is to leave plants for them as they eat the seeds off this time of year. Yesterday I watched them as they went all over those dried up sticks out of the snow looking for seeds. An eagle got a rooster pheasant this week at the top of our driveway.

7 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow...Nan that's a lot of snow! We still have had any. Just rain...pouring down all last night. Now if it had been colder that would have been snow. I'm lazy today just experimenting with Hubby's macro lens and camera.

Perfectly Printed said...

Nan, what a great post.. giving us a taste of what it's like living in Alaska!! Your dogs seem to love the snow.

chris

Debby said...

I have been wondering if you were getting lots of snow. We are supposed to get a little soon. Nothing like what you are getting.
I guess I could stay in a cabin if I knew I had another place to go if there was the need. Not sure my Hubby would, hah.
Stay warm.

My Vintage Mending said...

I just keep watching the news on how much you all are getting and it seems so reverse from last year. We are just so dry! Enjoy every little flake....smiles...Renee

Ann said...

What a winter wonderland that is. We finally got a couple of inches today, first of the winter. It was 21 degrees here today. I see its pretty cold there.
Ann

Jane M said...

Wonderful, beautiful pictures and so interesting to hear about your life and home in Homer. No, I love my creature comforts and and am grateful for them every day. Meanwhile my husband is in Baltimore right now where daffodils are blooming three months early!

MJ said...

We finally got our first snow of the season--up until now have only had flurries, but yesterday and last night had about 5 inches--now it looks more like Wisconsin. On Wednesday it was 51 degrees and then yesterday it dropped down into the 20's and snowed, windy, blowing, and drifting--and today is not supposed to get over 21 with wind chills in the single digits.

Search This Blog