Saturday, January 28, 2012

85-year-old woman wields shovel to stop moose stomping


Friend Barb Landi wrote me this and I thought you'd like to see the article in our ADN.

 Two years ago this couple drove 300 miles down to Homer for our Gardeners' weekend.They are friends of ours. We give free admission to our garden tours to people in their 80s. So besides being a pilot and teacher & dog mushers, they are gardeners too...in one of the harshest climates in the world. 
An agitated moose ran down and stomped a well-known Bush pilot from Willow, but he was saved when his wife grabbed a shovel from their pickup truck and whacked the big animal until it backed off.
George Murphy, 82, and his wife, Dorothea Taylor, 85, told the story of their recent moose encounter Sunday afternoon from Murphy's hospital room in Anchorage, where he is recovering from gashes to his head and left leg as well as seven broken ribs.
They were at the Willow Airport around 10:30 a.m. Friday running their golden retrievers as they do almost every day. They drive along the access road in their truck and let the dogs, Fellar and King Tut, run on ahead.
Read full story here:
http://www.adn.com/2012/01/22/2277726/wife-stops-moose-stomping-with.html 

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/01/22/2277726/wife-stops-moose-stomping-with.html#storylink=cp
y

9 comments:

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Wow! What a story! I really miss our moose but at the same time, I'm glad he (she?)is gone. He was just too close and friendly. When he was right outside my back door, I threw a broom at him and he just stared at me! He reminded me of a stuborn porcupine but unlike a porky, he could have killed quickly! I think he was just lonely but still, I'd much rather see a moose from a safe distance than have them moving in with me!

Thanks for coming by yesterday. My house doesn't let in much light so that means I have to get outside. That's easy for me any other time of year but not now. I spent several hours about town yesterday and felt so much better by the time I came home to my dark little farm house! ♥

gpc said...

What a great story! Thanks for showing us, Nan!

A Vintage Chic said...

Great story, Nan! Reminds me of one of my friend who always goes to a girls' camp with me & my girls every summer--She's the tiniest one of all of the adults, and she's the one who always kills the menacing rattle snakes--with a shovel! Puts us all to shame!

Have a beautiful day, my friend!

Julie

Sam I Am...... said...

Awesome adventures you have up there in the Northwest! That was a fascinating story and could have turned out a whole lot worse from the sounds of it! You've got some tough stock up there and the women are too which I admire. I guess you have to be to survive. I'm so glad everyone's okay or at least going to be.

Debby said...

What a woman. Can't believe she did all that. I am surprised that he didn't have more injuries or get pneumonia. I hope he will heal from those wounds.
Cute that they drive and the dogs run. The crazy lady in our neighborhood does that on her motorized chair. We have so many hills. She is the one that Piper hates. She is annoying and always has been.
This is a true story and I will try to condense. My Mom's Yorkie was let outside to potty. She was gone for awhile and my Mom went outside to find a raccoon on top of the dog. She immediately reached down to get her dog and the raccoon attacked her. Mom screamed....and she is a screamer, and my Dad came out of the house. He too grabbed a shovel and started to beat the raccoon......alot smaller than a moose for sure.....the animal ran off. Mom and her dog were both bleeding alot. Then Dad realized the door had locked behind him. It was about 20 degrees. Luckily a state trooper lived close by and he went for help. They dropped the dog off at the vets and took Mom to the ER. The dog survived. Mom needed stitches but they coudn't because of it being a wild animal????? But they had to order rabies shots. Those had to be delivered from Columbus. Then that truck got hijacked. Bullet ridden the truck still had the shots she needed on board. She took the whole series of shots. Only the last one hurt. Sorry this is so long. In the meantime I was in the hospital 2 hours away getting my gall ballder removed. Thank goodness my Dad was just starting his battle with Alzheimers but was still able to drive and care for her. Amazing stories, both of them.

Inger said...

What a great story.

My Vintage Mending said...

This is the kind of 85 year old I want to grow up to be...absolutely amazing. She is inspiring! Thanks for sharing...smiles...Renee

laurie -magpie ethel said...

This story made a snippet in our local paper. Glad it turned out with a happy ending..could have been much worse.

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

That was quick thinking on her part! I can't imagine what that was like seeing a moose like that and attacking.

Search This Blog