Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Fairbanks is Really Cold !



My grandson Dallas is at the University of Fairbanks and being from Kodiak he knows cold but not like this! He called me the other day and said his hair in the front freezes up like this boys below and he only stays out 6 minutes at a time getting somewhere. The university has an excellent bus service so the kids really don't need a car. He has adjusted to the cold here he says. 


Spell of unseasonable cold keeps icy grip on Fairbanks

Readings expected well below zero for rest of week.
Cold weather fouling your holiday mood this week? Here's something to be thankful for: At least you're not in Fairbanks.
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Frost clings to UAF student Cory Hobbs.
Record week of cold weather in Fairbanks
Between Nov. 17 and 21, five new record low temperatures were recorded at Fairbanks International Airport.

Date New record Old record

Nov. 21 -38 -35
Nov. 20 -37 -33
Nov. 19 -36 -33
Nov. 18 -36 -33
Nov. 17 -41 -39
Nov. 15 -35 -33
A record-breaking deep freeze that settled on the Interior city eased a bit Tuesday, but temperatures haven't crept above zero since Nov. 13, according to the National Weather Service
The lowest lows came last Thursday, hitting 41 degrees below zero, with more chilly readings expected through the end of the week.
Monday marked five straight days of record cold at the airport, with lows well below minus 20 predicted for today and Thanksgiving Day and down to 30 below on Friday.


Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/11/22/2184860/days-of-record-cold-keep-icy-grip.html#ixzz1eYj7nj3d

6 comments:

Debby said...

Now that is cold.
I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Thanks for your wishes. Things will get better.
(((((HUGS)))

My Vintage Mending said...

I can only imagine...heaven help the animals in that area as well...Blessings on Thanksgiving...Renee

Creative Breathing said...

Hi Nan! You do know I love wintry weather, you can send your overflow my way for the holidays!
Your tags are just wonderful! So much detail. I spotted the gnome paper at my store and admired it for a very long time. I can't wait to see your tags in person.
Have a lovely Thanksgiving Holiday! Elizabeth

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Too cold for me! Iowa gets cold but never that cold. It seems to me though it is. :)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Inger said...

Oh, my! I've been in 25 below and that was cold. It's hard to imagine an entire city freezing like that. I hope everyone can stay safe. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Jo said...

Hey there, i just found your blog :) but i just had to tell you that being from england as i am...those sorts of temperatures are just unbelievable! I can't even begin to
Imagine!

Search This Blog