Friday, October 28, 2011

Musk Oxen


Musk oxen getting on nerves in Nome

Musk oxen like Nome, but Nome doesn't always like them (Nome Nugget): Musk oxen are drawn to Nome by its sheltering buildings and its lack of predators, but they're notoriously stubborn and easily offended. And they hate local dogs. Some residents want a community discussion of what to do about them. In the meantime, warns a Fish and Game biologist, don't be an idiot and try to approach them for a Facebook photo.


Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/10/27/2141742/alaska-short-takes-experts-still.html#ixzz1c6viZqQb

6 comments:

Terra said...

They are handsome animals, but potentially dangerous. I say the musk oxen were in Nome first, before the people, so it is their territory!

E said...

Magnificent and beautiful animals ... but I think I prefer the pesky squirrels in my yard and opossums in my garage - yikes ! ! E in TN

Creative Breathing said...

Fascinating! I have never seen this animal before. Beautiful as well! Oh, Jackie O! Your suit has turned out so lovely. What a treasure you are Nan. I have learned so much about Alaska from my visits here, and I have loved every one of them! Elizabeth

vivian said...

are they near where you live? They sure look dangerously awesome! Id be afraid to go outside if I thought there were lurking around! lol!
you live in the best place for wild life.
have a great weekend
xoxo
vivian

gpc said...

Do you see enough of their hair on bushes and stuff to gather for yarn? No wonder that stuff is so expensive! You live in such an interesting place.

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

I wouldn't know what to think if I saw these "two". I sure enjoy seeing them this way on your blog, I can see their beauty and be in awe of God's creations.

Search This Blog