Friday, October 7, 2011

Dupioni Silk Christmas Skirt



 Inside lace from the Russian shop.
Hem and waistband sewn by hand. 
Had to do my photos alone just me and the boys today Bob is doing his volunteer job at the museum. This skirt is so easy Nan's way. I buy 2 yards of Dupoini silk, lay it out and cut off some of the 45" width all the way across to make it the length I want including my 4" hem I will have. This length is 27.5" finished from the waistband to the hem bottom. With some of that cut off fabric I cut the waist band in my waist measurement plus another inch or so for the zipper opening.  I make the waist band in one piece not two and add fusible interfacing folding it over. The skirt also is one long piece not cut into two so there is just one seam down the back with the zipper all the way up to the top of the waist band like Gertie shows to do. Very easy little skirt to make and the Dupioni comes in such gorgeous colors I'm thinking now I want more of them (if I can find the silk.) 
~Next Project~
Pink cotton velvet and lined bolero the same as the black one above. This has turned out to be my favorite. This can be worn with the brown velvet skirt I just made don't you think?

8 comments:

Jane said...

Your Christmas skirt with the black velveteen jacket is just gorgeous - so classic - the plaid + black velvet! The pink will look great with the brown skirt. You're going to have a wardrobe of beautiful clothing!
Jane-Jacksonville

Anonymous said...

You look GREAT in this outfit!

A Vintage Chic said...

Fabulous skirt, Nan...and you look fabulous, my friend!

Hope your day is wonderful...

Julie

Vintage Girl said...

Nan, your skirt is just lovely! I agree with Jane classics are the best. You look so pretty, this will be great for church.

Charlene said...

They say the early bird gets the worm & you are way ahead of Christmas girl & aren't you SMART! That skirt is so pretty. And it looks like the fall color is really starting to pop up there. It's so dry here we won't have color. :( Hugs the fur babies for me! Charlene

My Vintage Mending said...

Perfect...nothing more....lace trim is lovely. moved way up on my to do list. Thanks for sharing...enjoy your day with the boys. Smiles...Renee

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Nan, you are such a fantastic seamstress! Your fabrics are always beautiful! Enjoy your weekend! Twyla

Debby said...

Me again
Nan.
They were supposed to test her for that and they didn't. This doctor is always obsessed with the weight thing. When Izzy weighed 11 pounds she said she needed to loose one pound. I don't like it when I get a different doctor each time. I am reducing her food intake and going to search for another doctor. Do you know what they do for cushings? Thanks so much for your advice.

Search This Blog