Friday, September 2, 2011

Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Sept 2nd


Well here we are 50 years later.
The reception was in my sister's home and she bought the cake for us from a bakery in Sacramento. My mom made my dress and the bouquet was given to me so I'd have one by a friend who grew orchids. We were married in Immaculate Conception Church at 10 am with a few friends and family, nothing fancy that's for sure. After this small reception we loaded up the 57 Chevy which was paid for and with a 125 dollar nest egg took off for Milwaukee which would be my very first time out of the state of CA and away from my parents. It was not easy to say the least. Bob's family lived in Milwaukee and they also gave us a Polish type reception when we arrived. I was told to wear my wedding dress at the reception which had a polka band. This was all very foreign to a young innocent CA girl. I've been years trying to understand how that family thinks. My mother in law is 94 now and at the time wondered if this marriage could possibly work as I was such a baby.
The secret is commitment and a lot of luck is involved in picking out the right person. We left there after a week and moved down to Wichita Falls Texas where Bob was stationed in the Air Force. In a year our son was born in Texas and 15.5 months later our daughter was born in Sacramento as Bob got out of the AF and we moved back to CA. Bob was never out of job from the time I married him until he retired in 2001. I took my parents advice and married a good provider and that he has always been.  

25 comments:

vivian said...

happy anniversary!!!!! wow 50 years is quite an achievement these days! I hope you have a wonderful time with your handsome groom!
xoxo
vivian

Donna said...

Happy Golden Anniversary!

I just recently moved back to the Milwaukee area where every wedding I ever attended had some polka!

Congratulations on 50 years.
~Donna

Kath said...

Happy Anniversary and many more to come.
You look just as slim and elegant now as you did 50 years ago Nan.

ImagiMeri said...

Congratulations on the big 5-0! Oh Nan, you really haven't changed a bit. From a lovely young bride to an even lovelier, and more fashionable wife.

May you two have 50 more beautiful years together.

Hugs,
Meri

gpc said...

Congratulations! You both look wonderful, love the 50-year portrait!

Sherri B. said...

Happy Golden Anniversary!! Love the 2 photos, you both look great, then and now!

Edamommy said...

What a lovely couple y'all were and still are! ^_^ Congratulations!

My husband and I celebrated our 20th this year and it's so cool to see up the road, you know?

All my best!

Helen Haddix said...

Happy happy anniversary!! Wonderful picture of the 4 of you.
May all your days be happy & healthy.
Helen

My Vintage Mending said...

Only you could get more beautiful. Amazing wedding dress...right up my alley. Hope you saved that timeless piece. Love the hearts dangling on the dogs. Congratulations.....and many more. Smiles...Renee

missy said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. Your wedding dress looks amazing.

Congratulations on such a long marriage....tis very rare now and days!

margits bastelstube said...

happy aniverser, dear nan!!!
greetings
margit

deborah said...

Happy Anniversary! 50 years is so wonderful. May you enjoy many more loving years together!

Deb, Scarlet & Lance

Sandy said...

Happy Anniversary, what a great photo fo the four of you! 50 years....wow....I am in awe.

My son Bryan went up to see Abbey and got a video of her "hunting"...she is so awesome Nan! And so beautiful. The man who runs the camp owns 25000.00 dogs ( German SHorthair's)and he told Bryan he had "one heck of a nice dog"....Bryan was walking on air! She comes home between the 24th and the 28th...I can't wait to see her! She will be full grown...hard to believe....

I am so glad the two of you are such good partners in life! Sandy

LunaLoo said...

Super Congratulations! The two of you and the pups too look very, very happy together! A long lived happy marriage is such a blessing!

Vintage Girl said...

Happy Anniversary Nan! So happy for you both. God makes marriage work. You still are a beauty.

Jane M said...

Happy anniversary! What a wonderful record of devotion and commitment. You both look wonderful and deservedly proud.

Jane said...

Happy Golden Anniversary! Best Wishes for many more happy years together - all 4 of you!
Jane-Jacksonville

laurie -magpie ethel said...

congrats on the big 50! That is truly a remarkable thing these days. Love the two photos of you then and now....happy in both!

Sandy said...

Happy 50th Anniversary Bob and Nan! I loved hearing about your wedding all those years ago. Growing up in NE Ohio in and around Cleveland many of my friends were Polish and going to receptions at halls with Polka music was the norm. Things were more simple years ago weren't they? Most folks didn't have the money to have lavish weddings. I know we didn't even 37 years ago. We wouldn't have had a reception at all if my parents hadn't volunteered to pay for it. Hope you had a great celebration!

Anonymous said...

What a fun wedding picture.I
really enjoyed it! All the best
to both of you.

Style Diary Of A Fashion Fanatic said...

Happy 50th!!!!!
That's wonderful!!!! I love your photos!!!!
http://fashiondiarylooks4.blogspot.com

bridechic said...

I simply adore your dress. Very 1960s and 'Audreyesque'.

Linda said...

How wonderful, congratulations, Nan!

Deborah said...

Congratulations of your anniversary! I must say you are the best looking couple I have EVER seen celebrating the big 50! Many more, Debbie

NanE said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful achievement. The picture on the steps is great. Blessings, Nan

Search This Blog