Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday a Trip across the bay

The non profit Bob and I are quite involved in is the friends of the Pratt Museum or POPS as we call it.
We have been working all year building up to today's event which was an all day tour and learning experience across the bay. 
 We hired a large tour boat the Discovery who can take up to 75 people on this 100 dollar a person fund raiser tour. We had 45 people go. The day was rainy but not windy and not that cold, but it was damp. 
 The first place we landed was Peterson Bay which houses The Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies. In the photo we are being ferried across the water to the shore. Here in Kachemak Bay you cannot always get close to shore due to our great tide variance. We pulled ourselves over by pulling on ropes that went across the water from the dock to the shore side.


Those who were not up to hiking stayed in the center and listened to a speaker there and all the others were divided into two groups one with a botanist and the other with an anthropologist both trained in the history of this area and employees of the Pratt Museum. We then later met up and switched so we had both experiences. We also had snacks on the boat and in the center to tide us over  before sailing off to the next stop which I will post in part two. 

7 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Sounds like it was a really great event. i love your pics.
K xoxox

Debi said...

Sounds fantastic!! I love the boat!!

Jane said...

What an adventure!
Jane-Jacksonville

Debby said...

Such an interesting place. So glad that you take such an interest into saving all those beautiful resources.

Creative Breathing said...

Nan, Thank you so much for sharing your Alaskan adventures. You make me feel as though I am along for the day.
A curious sewing question. Are the muslin garments you make your patterns? Do you take them apart and then cut your material to size? I truly enjoy your these posts!
Elizabeth

Sandy said...

Nan,
It looks cold!!!! LOL You are so involved with so many wonderful programs and people! The photo of the kayaks(?) is awesome!!!! Take a look at my blog and see my grandpuppy lovin' life! :):) Sandy

My Vintage Mending said...

This sounds like it is a trip for me. I would have been all over the tour. I hope you took pictures of the vegetation. I can't wait for part two. Renee

Search This Blog