Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cranes have returned




All of Homer waits for the return of the cranes from the Sacramento Valley in CA. It amazes us how they have done this for thousands of years. They return the same week each year. We have 'Crane watch' here to report the comings and goings of the cranes. On Monday we saw two large flocks of cranes above Homer containing 120 or more in each flock. Then on Tue our crane couple showed up in our yard at 6:30 pm. I can tell by the markings on the female this is the same couple who appear every year. They checked out the pond, the compost pile, ate some corn and did the crane dance. Then they flew off as I could hear them in the distance. 
Then we have Mr. Pheasant with his 4 hens. He has staked out his territory, our yard, as his and chases all other roosters off. One of his hens has a broken leg and we've been watching her for a month now come alone to the feeder holding her leg out to the side. Then the duck couple that raised 8 ducklings to fly away have returned to the pond. Lastly a snipe has appeared, they also migrate here to breed. The pheasant of course stay here all year and do rather well. 

9 comments:

A Vintage Chic said...

What wonderful photos, Nan! The migrating instincts of birds are fascinating, aren't they?!

Love your newest top, too--gorgeous! Wish I lived near you so you could help me with my vintage sewing ventures!

Hope your day is wonderful, my friend!

Julie

Sandy said...

How neat! Enjoyed the photos of the cranes. We have rain coming again here. Trees have all budded out and grass is growing like crazy. My Merry Maid just arrived so I will have a clean house today. Hubby is off taking a continuing education course today. Maybe I can polish my silver today. Have a lovely day.

Debby said...

How exciting. I wish we had cranes instead of the 200 turkey buzzards that stay in our trees three months every winter.

Anita - Soaring Eagle said...

Great Pictures -- I just love birds - God is so good to make such beautiful variey of them....

Canyon Girl said...

Looks like spring has come to Alaska. Cranes come to the same lake in Sweden, close by where my cousin lives, at the same time each year too. I saw them in 2001 and will never forget the sight of thousands of cranes. Enjoy the awakening of nature where you are.--Inger

gpc said...

How wonderful!

Munir said...

Thanks for stopping by. In India we did learn basic sewing skills in Domestic Science class. My daughter wants to implement basic living skill in schools when she has children.
Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing:)

My Vintage Mending said...

Do the dogs bark at them? These are beautiful. You wouldn't need a t.v. with all this going on outside your windows. I hope that hen makes it. Do you think there is recovery from that...I would worry sick over that...smiles..Renee

iris said...

Wow, it sounds like you have an amazing collection of wild birds coming to visit! I'm jealous!

Search This Blog