Saturday, March 26, 2011

Russian Fabric Store Visit Part 1



I popped into the Russian ladies fabric shop which is just across the road from us. Me not being a Russian going in this shop I became totally invisible. The owner and the customer completely ignored me not looking my way a single time as I browsed through the many 60" wide bolts of shiny fabric, fancy trims, ribbons, and a lot of things I don't know what they are but the Russians do and use them in their ceremonies and dress. Yards of lace were piled high like an ant hill growing out of the lace shelf itself, with bolts of fabric leaning every which way including flat out on the floor. I've been in here a long time back and recall it looked the same. Customers must carefully step around trims and fabrics piled on the floor making their way to the back of the shop which has more bolts all 60" wide. Russians like shinny, silky, slinky fabric for their traditional dress. They wear anything from crimson red to pastel pink to ice blue satin. This is where I can find my long evening dress material !! Their traditional dress is designed by cut if you become pregnant you can still wear this dress and expand out the front. Part 2 later. 

4 comments:

Sherri B. said...

Very interesting, especially how they design their dresses for change in case of pregnancy. Too bad the customer serivce isn't better. Looking forward to part 2.

Have a good weekend.

GardenofDaisies said...

There are times when I really appreciate being left alone to browse to my hearts content. Perhaps being acknowledge when you walked in would have been a good thing though. At least this is one store that is near, so you don't have to order it by mail.

My Vintage Mending said...

Why are they so cold. Is it a climate issue or a cultural issue. Always made me wonder why they had such a dark and dingy life style but from what you say of their clothing they make up for it...makes you wonder? Smiles...Renee

Creative Breathing said...

Nan, You have me giggling with this post because I keep thinking of Sarah Palin's famous quote about seeing the Russians out her kitchen window. LOL! You really can! Too funny. Love your felt book. Aren't those cute! Elizabeth

Search This Blog