Monday, January 3, 2011

Books

Bob and I love books. A couple years ago we started keeping track of our books during the year. We average about 3 and 1/4 books a month year round, that's 38 and 39 each for the year. From those lists I've picked the books I loved the most and Bob the same.
Bob's favorite reads this last year were:  Wilbur Smith's 7th Scroll, Warlock and River God, Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series, The Raging Sea by Dennis Power, Steve Allen's Funny People, Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan 21 in the series for young adult fiction, Rocket Boys by Homer Hickman, Jr. (we both loved this one). 
Here are my favorites: Adrianna Trigiani Brava Valentine second in a series, M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series, Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series, Susan Wittig Albert the Beatrix Potter mystery series, The Help, Temple Grandin's Thinking in Pictures, The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudendauf, and Thereby Hangs a Tail a Chet and Bernie Mystery by Spencer Quinn. I could go on with all time favorites but will end it here. Do you like to read if so what are your favorites? 

7 comments:

Kath said...

Happy new Year Nan! I was lucky enough to receive 3 new books at Chrsitmas, one full of old photos of my home town, one about the myths and legends of Avalon and a work of fiction based around the history of Glastonbury Abbey. See a theme developing there :-D

gpc said...

I am not reading as much as I used to. Only a couple years ago I was working full time AND reading a couple books a month. What has happened to my mind? I'll think about that some day -- but for now, I am thinking about your good fortune, to have married a man who reads AND does things around the house! Be still my heart!

Maggie said...

I have a whole blog dedicated to books- "Turning Pages."

I read "The Help" in 09 and LOVED it- it became one of my favorite books of all times.

Some of my other favorites of all times are "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Smoke Jumper", "The Kite Runner", "Water for Elephants", "South of Broad", "Lucy" and "Fool."

Fran. said...

Hi Nan thanks for stopping by from Jackie's post! She's a doll! I love meeting other ladies who still have a heart for Nancy Drew!! You are blessed to still have your ND books! My Mom gave mine to my cuzins daughter, she never returned them! So, I've started my own collection from yard sales, thrift, antique and estate sales! Right now so far my fav book I read is "The Mystery at the Lilac Inn". Your blog is very cool. I love your header. I like real pics. The moose make me smile. Take care, XO Fran.

Jacqueline said...

Hi sugar...
I've read every comment in the last few days as you've visited and yacked away on my blog. I have to catch up! As you know I've been in the closet! It felt wonderful to toss 1/2 of my clothes out. I had worn most of them for way way too long. I still have a sweater from high school...many years ago. My gnomes want to make it into a carpet for their tree house!

Books...oh how I love to read! I read everything from magazines to childrens books. I love old simple mysteries and I read childrens books all the time. I like a little romance and a really good haunted house story. One summer I read all my Trixie Belden books and currently I'm reading all the classic Beatrix Potter stories...I also like simple home town stories like The Mitford Series. A little of this and that. Thanks for the list. My daughter gave me Eat, Pray and Love and I've heard The Help was awesome.

Charlene said...

Nan, I love to read & need to get some new books. I read all sort of things but, at night "trash novels" that require no thinking & put my mind to sleep is what I like. I am going to check into a few of the ones you listed. Thanks for sharing the suggested list. And I am so glad we found each other in blogland & look forward to another year of getting to know you better. HUGS!
Charlene

Canyon Girl said...

I'm going to list a few of my favorites tomorrow. Many of yours I am not familiar with, but I would like to read The Help. I've heard it is supposed to be good. I saw your tags too, very cute. Happy New Year, dear Nan.--Inger

Search This Blog