Sunday, January 23, 2011

Back Country Ice Skating

Ice skating on Kenai Lake Alaska. A few friends get together for some fun on an aqua blue glacial lake. Not exactly a crowd at the rink today ! That was the most outstanding thing we noticed when we moved up here, no mobs of people. We quickly got over the 'let's get there early and miss the crowd'. 
 Photo credits Kevin Turinsky and Richard Murphy


A simple pair of rescue spikes, homemade from a broken axe handle and a couple of nails, could be the simple device to save your life when lake or river skating. The sharpened nails fit into holes drilled in the opposite handle, and the package can be worn around the neck or an the outside pocket of a pack.

8 comments:

gpc said...

My gosh, how beautiful! We river skated when I was a kid but it was never so blue. The spikes would have been a good idea -- I remember when my brother fell through and the first thing he said when he surfaced was, 'don't tell mom.' He was ten years older than us and punched us whenever we disappointed him, so our lips were zipped. I've often thought that he could have gone back under and we STILL probably wouldn't have said a word!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

That is the most picturesque ice skating I have ever seen. The color of the ice is amazing! What a day!

vivian said...

Gorgeous!! I cant get over the blueness! I suppose you would want to be prepared with those spikes if your going to take a risk on ice like that. Personally, I'm not a risk taker and wouldnt even be able to put my foot on the ice like that!!
lol...
yes.. im a chicken...
Hugs!
vivian

David T. Macknet said...

Awesome pictures! Wow!

Stevie said...

Amazing!!! I've tried ice skating once and well it didn't go over too well. Love watching it though!

Lallee said...

OMG This is sooooooo gorgeous! You live in a beautiful world, Nan.

DeanO said...

Thanks Nan - I had never seen pictures of ice skating on Kenai Lake. I like those spikes but one would have to be pretty careful....yes? Especially if worn around the neck

CATHERINE said...

Quelles magnifiques photos, très froides mais superbes ! Very cold pictures but réelly nice !
Amitiés de France.
Catherine

Search This Blog